Anderson, Carl, mechanic — Portland — born in Mölnbacka, Värmland, January 21, 1861. Came at the age of six to Seffle, and four years later to Bro parish. Following his confirmation he lived for almost five years in Karlstad, where he learned his trade — sheet metal work — and received a silver medal from the Karlstad Manufacturers and Craftsmen Association for skillfulness in his profession and an orderly way of life. In 1880 A. moved to Stockholm where he received employment at the old Lindberg factory. After completing his military service he left for America in the fall of 1883. He spent the initial five months in South Bend, followed by a year in Chicago, mainly working for Newton & Co. Moved to Lincoln, Nebraska, and in 1886 to Tacoma, Washington. In January 1887 he moved to Portland, Oregon, and has lived here ever since. For many years he has been employed by W.D. McPherson on Glisan St, between 6th & 7th. Anderson is the owner of the large house on 249-251½ Halsey St. Married since 1884 to Louisa Peterson from Onsberg in Denmark, who, in 1889 completed her dentist’s certificate at the American College of Dental Surgery in Chicago. In 1907 the Anderson couple made a European journey, during which they visited Denmark, Sweden, Germany and England and traveled by bicycle from Copenhagen to Elsinore, and from Helsingborg to Gothenburg, Karlstad, Örebro, and Stockholm, covering a distance of 1,003 kilometers (628 English miles) in 116 hours and 13 minutes, a journey which — rest periods included — required a full month of travel.